Tourist info - English

Kastav, a town fortified by a town wall with nine defensive towers, was built on the ridge of Karst mountain (377 meters above sea level). It is situated very near Opatija (6 kilometres) and Rijeka (10 kilometres), only 20 kilometres from Rupa, the Croatio Slovenian border.
 
The history of Kastav is turbulent. Archeological discoveries confirm the presence of an Illyrian tribe of Japodi in 11th century B.C. on the site of today"s town. After them the town was governed by the Romans, Ostrogoths, Greeks, Lombards and in the 7th century the Croatians moved to the place and stayed here till today.
 
During the Middle Ages church authorities in Kastav region belonged to the bishops of Pula and from the middle of the 12th century the secular masters of Kastav were counts of Devin (from Duino, not far from Trieste) that were replaced by the counts of Walsea around 1400. Then the statute Law of the Town of Kastav from 1400, was registered and froma 1465 Kastav and its region became the property of the Habsburg family. From 1630 to 1773 the region of Kastav belonged to Jesuits. After abolition of Societi of Jesus, Kastav and its region were possessed by Austrian Court Chamber. The owners of Kastav exchanged until 1848 when the general liberty of land was declared and gentleman"s estates were abolished.
 
19th century is the period of national revival and a number of cultural institutions whic promoted the Croatian language and national identity was established. Than, the amateur cultural work started and it is also present today in the Kastavian region.
 
After the World War I, Kastav and its region experienced the destiny of the area divided between the Kingdom of Italy and the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. After 1945 thay were re-united in Croatia, as a part of and indipendent Republic of Croatia, that gave Kastav back the status of  town.
  1. The Saint Jelena Križarica Church was found by the Croatians in the 7th century. During the time to single-naved churc had been added an additional part, and in the 17th century it was made baroque and widened with two naves. St. Jelena Križarica is the patroness of the town of Kastav.
  2. The tower of Žudila (ital. giudicare — to judge), one of the six conserved towers of the town wall, was the place of wxecuting sentences made at the municipal Court of Justice. 
  3. Crekvina is a ruin of an magnificent church of St. Mary"s Assumption, that was being built by the Jesuits during their reign.
  4. In Lokvina, the central town square, there is Kaštel — a building built probably in the 14th century or in the beginning of the 15th century. Captains, who governed the town in the name of feudal masters, lived there. In 1770 the first public elementary school was founded in Kastav, and the lessons took place in the building of Kaštel. Today, in one wing of the modernized building there is the centre of municipal administration. In late Gothic court Saint Trinity Church the oldest Glagolitic graphites were found, deriving from the 15th century.
  5. In the 1571 a lodge was build in front of the town, the only building out of the town walls at that time. It is the biggest and the best preserved such a building in the Quarnerian region. It was used for consultation, discussion, trials and also for entertainment and today is used for formal sessions of Kastavian Town Council.
  6. The town gate was renewed in 1731 and there is Jesuit"s arms above it from 1769.
  7. Etnological exhibits are exposed in the Museum collection of Kastavian region that is placed above the town portal.
 
Kastav offers to its visitors different types of recreation. From Kastav up to the North there is a woods Loza and Lužina, an ecological paradise, traversed by the European pedestrian way E-6, and it follows the trases of an ancient Amber way, connecting the coasts of the Baltic (town Flensburg) and the Adriatic Sea.
 
 
The calendar of the most important annual performances:
 
JANUARY, FEBRUARY, (MARCH) — Pust (Carnival) — In the Kastavian region old carnival customs are still cared for. Carnival starts on 17th January on St. Anthony"s Day and finishes on Ash Wednesday.
 
JULY, AUGUST — Kastafsko kulturno leto (Kastavian cultural summer) — International cultural festival with exhibitions, theatre and musical programmes that take place on the open stage in the central town square Lokvina. Selected musical programmes are performed in St. Jelena Križarica Church.
 
OCTOBER — Bela nedeja i Beli pundejak (White Sunday and White Monday) — New wine fair. The first Sunday and Monday in October are the days of festivities and tasting of new «belica», the original wine of Kastavian region.
 
 
Kastav can be also reached by the buses of public transport:
 
From Opatija, bus stop on Slatina, route number 33 and 37
From Rijeka, bus stop in Jelačić Square, route number 18.
 
 
Specialties can be found in catering establishments in Kastav and its region:
Restoran KUKURIKU NA FORTICE Trg Matka Laginje 1/A 051/691 417
Bistro VIDIKOVAC Put Vladimira Nazora 4 051/691 383
Gostionica ŠPOROVA JAMA Šporova jama 2 051/691 104
Bistro NERO Tometići 33 a 051/275 063
Restaurant BONACA Rubeši 34 051/691 340
Restaurant MIRA Brestovice 6 051/224 308
Gostionica KALINICA Jelušići 38 051/256 337
 
 
 
You can also stay in Kastav and its surroundigs, because there are comfortable private rooms and apartments.
 
Information and reservation:
  KASTAV TOURIST BOARD Trg Matka Laginje 5 - 51215 KASTAV   Tel.: +385 (0)51 691 425
Fax: +385 (0)51 691 330
Gsm: +385 (0)99 21 85 901   E-mail: tz.grada.kastva@ri.t-com.hr
www.kastav-touristinfo.hr